Thursday, 7 May 2015

Show Report.....

As I said in my previous post, I have attended 2 live shows since I wrote my last blog entry so I will catch up a little with how they went. My first show was in March, Southern Round Up 6 held in Petersfield. One thing you will notice in my photos is that the tables seem empty, this is because I like to take photos before removing my sets up and everyone else has already removed theirs. Also the flip boards might have been flipped to the next classes so please ignore them. :)

 I had 3 entries in performance at SRU6, Dressage, Cross Country and Driving. First up was the Jumping Class. Show Jumping and Cross country get combined in this shows schedule (common in the UK), so it was Lanark's first time out and it kicked started my quest to see how many classes I can enter him in this season doing different things.


He is a bit of a struggle to get right as his pose is a little awkward but I thought coming down this bank to the Coffin ditched with water in it suited him really well, his head is looking at what he is approaching. As you can see he placed 1st and gained his first ever BMECs card which means he can head to the Championship show in October! 

Next up was Dressage. In this class I did a combined entry with my friend Glenys Jones (UK), I created both our Korsar's to be like brothers so they could be teamed up in performance. Razzle is owned by Glenys on the left and Dazzle on the right belongs to me. 



I set these boys up doing Pas de Deux Dressage, I had seen a few set ups already but they are nearly always coming down a line side by side so I decided to change things up a bit and have them crossing at the top of the arena instead. It also gave both horses the opportunity to be seen. As you can see, these also gained a 1st and a BMECs card! 

My last entry was a driving set up with Darcy. Now this one took a bit of researching as I wasn't sure about her pose? Here in the UK we show very differently to the US in many disciplines, this sometimes confuses my American friends. In this example we show our Morgan horses with collared harnesses in Private Driving classes as they pull traditional British carriages. My main issue with putting Darcy into a Private Driving class wasn't the collar, it was that she is stood parked out? So, I contacted the British Driving Society and the British Morgan Horse Association and both told me the exact same thing. A Morgan horse in a Private Driving class would NOT be marked down by a judge if it happened to be stood parked out, this confirmed exactly what I suspected and now I was now able to document my set up and Darcy was good to go! 


Darcy went on to win her class and and take Performance Champion!

One thing I will say is document everything you can in performance properly, do your research! You can't expect a judge to know everything. If you can provide as much correct information on a performance set up it helps a judge come to an informed decision when placing the entries, they may not necessarily agree with what you have provided but you have given your entry the best possible chance. :)

At SRU6, I didn't take along much in the way of halter horses.....I don't know what it is, but I'm not a really a halter horse showing lover. How ever the horses I did enter did well which I was really pleased about. The picture below made us all laugh on the day, the AR UK Draft Breed class literally had 3 entries and they were all Clydes arranged in a degree of sizes! They just happened to place that way too! lol. It was definitely worth a photo, plus Lanark gained his halter BMECs card! 



My Custom Donk 'Kisses' won her class, as did my lil custom Collecta Shetland 'Freckles' both by the ubber talented Frances Stevens (UK).


To round the day off, Darcy won 1st in her halter class and then went on to take Supreme Show Champion in her Driving set up! A huge Thank you to Yvonne Dunn who hosts the Southern Round Up shows and everyone one that attended, really looking forward to the next one in July. :)




_________________________________________________________________


On to my next show, Springtime Showtime Live in North Wales!

This show is about a 6 hour drive off the ferry for me, so we decided to make a long weekend of it and stay in North Wales for 4 days. I booked us a National Trust cottage out in the sticks in the Snowdonia National Park, which was just around the corner from Snowdon itself...simply breath taking! We were up on a hillside with views right across a lake looking over to the mountains in the distance. Another plus was I was 20 minutes away from my friend Glenys so we could visit her well before the show itself, of course she had to come and look at the 16th century cottage we were staying in too. :) I will do another blog later about our stay, but for now....on to the show! 





I had already decided that I wasn't taking much to this show, literally 1 performance entry. The idea was more that I went to help Glenys out with all her entries as she only goes to one live show a year and its her only chance to qualify everything for the Championship show in October. So, we spent Friday working out all her entries and perfecting them as best we could. I have to say it was brilliant to be playing with someone else's models and props etc....a refreshing change! 

The Show was held in Abergele in a small village hall. We managed to nab a couple of tables in a corner which was very handy as we had a vast amount of stuff! 




I can't remember as to what order all the set ups went into the ring but here are some of Glenys entries....



These were both Jumping entries in the same class. Top one is a Legacy resin jumping a Apex cross country jump I made him. He took first in that class, followed by her lil Zim resin who took 3rd.

Rememeber my one entry of my own? Well, that was Lanark! He came out doing a little show jumping, he gained a 2nd place with yet another BMECs card.... yay! 2 disciplines down.


I also did most of the work to Glenys's little pony club games entry too, you may recognise his rider? she swapped Ruah and his apples for Chunk Butt and a little speed instead.....I must paint those pots! :-/ lol.


Next we go to Driving and Dressage.....




Both Glenys Mules came out for these disciplines, the cart entry gained a 1st and the Dressage a 2nd! Next up is the race set up....this one I loved! Glenys's Mister Shadow resins came in to their own and looked just brilliant on the day.


This made it to the championships, so when I placed them on their base board again I made it a photo finish!


Glenys then had some western entries. You probably know by now western is not my thing really so I will let them speak for themselves, I know she did struggle boot wise so had to make do for this show with what she had to hand. They all looked fabulous set up and all managed to gain those championship qualifying cards again :)




Unfortunately, one entry went in to the wrong class as we were so frazzled by this point with so many entries with different horses, so I have agreed to try and qualify it again at one of my next shows. It was a shame as it was a fun entry.....



All in all, it was worth all the effort we had put in as by the time the end of Performance championship came around, Glenys had won Performance Champion, Reserve Champion & Res to Res Champion! A clean sweep!  


^ Performance Champion ^


^ Reserve Performance Champion ^


^ Res to Res Performance Champion ^

Another big thank you to Michelle Cox & Marion Randles for a wonderful show, and of course to all the judges and attendee's too! I might be back next year, we will have to wait and see..... :)


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the terrific report! I just finished reading Brothers of Gwynedd so seeing Wales gave me a bit of a thrill. I hope you enjoy many more such shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Susan, I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great show reports, I can't wait to get showing again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.