Thursday, 7 February 2013

New Resin Tree....

This is a quick post, I just wanted to give an update on how the resin tree for my saddles were coming along. I have cast 1 tree which worked really well, so well that I built my next saddle order on it!


I wanted something that would give me the shape of the seat without losing it when covered which is what was happing with my old saddles as I had to pad it all out so I could counter sink the skirts etc. This design seems to have resolved this issue and now gives a crisp finish while maintaining the overall look.

I'm now on to mould 2 as the air vents need tweaking slightly but I have taken some in progress pictures. Just remember this process is expensive, time consuming, will test your patience and your head might not have any hair left on it from all the tearing it out but hey I have a little saddle tree to show for it, lol! :)

Finally I just had to take a quick pic of the stitch markings my little home made wheel is producing, I made the most of this set being entirely hand cut as tooling leather holds so much more detailing that kangeroo lace doesn't. Thankfully I also had one of my quilted saddle pads already made up to go with the saddle so it was one more thing off the 'to do' list.


8 comments:

  1. Simply stunning craftsmanship!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work! I'm sure the trees will be a great help. The pounce wheel marks look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind words, I'm so pleased you like it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning as usual - I can't get over how much it looks like an actual full scale saddle!
    (Oh and where'd you get that lovely quilted fabric? I've been after some for my Julips for ages!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email here - crst644@btinternet.com and I'll hunt down the link for you for the fabric.....took me ages to get it too ;)

      Delete
  5. LOVE your tack - it's the best I have seen in the hobby.

    I'd like to know more about your homemade pounce wheel. Do you have a picture of it? Maybe a tutorial on how you made it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel :)

      I will get a picture of it for you and link a website to where you can find the handle part I used....not the wheel itself though unfortunately as that was just a little metal cog I found while clearing some things out.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Cristina! I know some military modelers use old watch cogs that they mount on handles to indicate rivets and such on their models and thought maybe the same idea could be used to make stitch markers for model tack.

    I would love to know what kind of handle you used and how you put the cog on. I have some old watches I want to take apart and play with!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.