Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Been A While...

Oh dear it is rather dusty in here *writes name in dust*  lol. I have been so busy lately so my poor blog has been neglected, time for a little update I think.

I recently had a mad dash to get a new Hunter set out to Stacey for her show very soon and I'm now crossing everything that it all makes it in time for her. I did get a piccy of her new saddle but dunder head here forgot completely to take pics of her new bridle etc *slaps wrists*.  I have also made a new bridle with lovely cast silver buckles which I simply LOVE as they are so kind to leather, grrr I wish I had got more piccies!




I have given the saddle some of my new stirrup inserts as I hated painting treads! (Can you tell I have gone moulding mad??? LOL!).  I did try some rubber ones but they kept popping out and could easily be lost so I have made some black plastic ones that can be removed if needed, they worked out great and like the stirrups I have cast they also won't chip!


If you have been reading my blog recently you might have read about me getting my hands on a Romke resin? Well, I spend AGES sanding this guy down as I didn't like his finish, I guess he is an older resin and it was to be expected. Anyway, I wanted him as a harness horse as I thought harness would really suit him.

I was right or was I right!!!!.......



I made him a lovely black leather show harness with full cast buckles, this is an expensive option as the buckles aren't cheap but I thought it was well worth it in the long run plus they add to the finish.

Some of you may have noticed 'Sikora' is a naughty boy and has to have a lower bit bar as he keeps getting his strap work caught in his bit....well, I had to make it a tad different and I have wanted to add a fixed bit bar for ages now. I myself was naughty too as he isn't finished (hooves) but I just had to see what it all would look like....hee! hee! ;)

I'll get some more detailed shots of the harness when I get a chance as I have put as much detail in as possible. Which also just reminds me that I need new drill bits as I broke 2 drilling the terret pin holes, grrr! Off to good ole ebay I think before I forget ......





Tuesday, 1 May 2012

My New Creations...

Some of you may know that I have been creating some of my own accessories to go with my saddlery, this has meant buying some equipment and learning what I can about mould making so I can cast a few things...the net is so useful, especially You Tube videos.

After watching a brilliant video on how to reproduce a little resin christmas tree (of all things) in a 2 part mould I was dying to get started. I found out my kids lego bricks (oh what fun! lol) and made up some boxes with them to house the moulds. After working out what went where and trying not to forget steps in the process I have managed to make some rubber moulds of my items....YAY!

One thing I wanted to create was some black light weight competition stirrups, these are often seen in Jumping and Cross country plus they have a big advantage in the model horse and real world as they shouldn't knock the horses sides or elbows. After completing the second part of my mould for them I had one scarey moment when the 2 parts wouldn't seperate but fortunately with a little pressure they came apart and I could take out the little resin stirrup I created out.

Today was my first ever attempt to cast a stirrup and this was my result.....


I'm so thrilled!! It needs a little clean up and buff with the dremel but it turned out brilliantly!  I'm now creating a 2nd 2 part mould so I can cast these in pairs, I may make more if I have enough moulding rubber left.

I plan to offer these as part of my tack sets, they are a little chunkier compared to the normal RDLC ones but that is how the real things are....